Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Thing #15

I thought the video was very thought provoking. What fascinates me the most is how much training K-12 teachers receive on differentiating instruction, use of manipulatives, the art of questioning, etc. and then college professors teach the same way they have for ages. I mean no offense to college professors, but a lot of them are more concerned with research than teaching. We have all heard news reports that today's students are not ready for college. Well, maybe colleges aren't ready for today's students. I know that K-12 education still has a long way to go to reach all students, but I think that colleges need to change as well. But I digress, since this was not what I was supposed to be talking about.

I am excited about the changes for the libraries of the future. I love how libraries are going towards more of a collaborative place, where the needs of the user will be more important then just a collection of print materials. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE books. There is something so satisfying about holding a book in my hands, and I would hate to see that taken away (especially for our young children that are beginning to read). I just honestly can't remember the last time I was in a library, besides the one at school. When I was in school the librarian seemed put out when I needed help with my research and then when I did find information it was incredibly outdated. Consequently I used the library for only a quiet place to study. I think the changes in the future are going to bring about the same excitement for the older students that the younger students feel about going to the library. I think it will be amazing to walk into a library and see groups of students working on projects with zest and ethusiasm, using video editing equipment, blogging with people from around the world, even working with group mates that are not there over the computer. Here's to an exciting future!

1 comment:

  1. I too am excited to see the changes that the future holds for libraries. A library no longer is just a place for books, but incorporates books and all kinds of technology to enhance learning. I grew up with just books in a library, but today is way better.

    ReplyDelete